Facts About Dogs
- The Bloodhound is the only animal whose evidence is admissible in an American court.
- The Taco Bell dog is actually a female, and her name is Gidget.
- Saint Bernards were trained to rescue lost travelers in the Swiss Alps.
- Dogs have been domesticated for 10,000 years.
- Canis Familiaris is the Latin name for dog.
- All but two breeds of dogs have pink tongues. The Chow Chow and the Shar-pei, both have black tongues.
- Cynophobia, the fear of dogs or rabies.
- Survivors of the Titanic included two dogs: a Pekingese and a Pomeranian.
- The oldest breed of dog native to North America is the Chihuahua.
- The world’s first astronaut was a dog named Laikia. She went into space in an artificial earth satellite in 1957 from Russia.
- Bull Terriers were bred by cross breeding Bulldogs with Terriers.
- The smallest dogs are the Chihuahua, the Yorkshire Terrier, and the Toy Poodle.
- The tallest dogs are the Great Dane and the Irish Wolfhound.
- There should be enough room for you to slip two fingers between the dog and the dog collar to assure that the collar is not too tight.
- Pet owners live longer, happier lives with less stress and less heart attacks.
- While America has an over population of dogs, Germany and Switzerland have the least amount of dogs. One dog for every 10 families.
- The “Dingo” is the wild dog of Australia.
- Japanese Akitas are declared champions of the breed, have been declared national treasures in Japan since 1931.
Check out these "Dog Facts"...
Have a dog fact of your own?
Do you have some fascinating tidbit about canines or some unusual fact that's not listed here on this site? Send us your "facts" and we'll give credit where credit is due.
Send us your dog facts!