Facts About Dogs - Dog Behavior
- The Basenji is the only barkless dog in the world.
- Every minute a dog takes ten to thirty breaths.
- The only mammals with prostates are humans and dogs.
- Never smile at a dog you feel might be dangerous. To him you would be baring your teeth as a sign of aggression.
- Whippets can reach a maximum speed of 35 miles per hour.
- A dog’s posture indicates fear if its ears are back and its tail is held below.
- All dogs have a strong need to be around others whether it is humans or other animals.
- All dogs, from the very large St. Bernard to the tiny Poodle, are direct descendants of wolves and can all breed together and produce fertile offspring.
- Greyhounds can reach a speed of up to 45 miles per hour for a short amount of time.
- Boxers are named for their playful habit of using their front paws in frolic.
- Newfoundland dogs have webbed feet, making them strong and agile swimmers.
- A “Bloodhound” can distinguish and identify several scents at the same time.
- Labrador Retrievers were originally bred to retrieve fishing nets.
- Monks used the Lhasa Apso, as a guard dog in temples.
- Siberian Huskies have been used to herd reindeer in Siberia, for 3000 years.
Check out these "Dog Facts"...
Have a dog fact of your own?
Do you have some fascinating tidbit about canines or some unusual fact that's not listed here on this site? Send us your "facts" and we'll give credit where credit is due.
Send us your dog facts!